* Serves 6–8
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs (from day-old white bread)
- 1 to 2 tbsp. demerara sugar, or to taste
- 1 lb. frozen summer fruits (such as blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, red and black currants, and cherries)
- 2 tsp. allspice
- frozen or fresh berries, to serve
- fresh mint leaves, to serve
- low-fat crème frâiche or fromage frais, to serve
Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Line a 2-pint ring mold with plastic wrap and place in the freezer. Place the breadcrumbs on a baking pan with the sugar. Roast in the preheated oven until golden and crispy, stirring once or twice so they are thoroughly crisp. Set aside until completely cooled.
In a food processor, whiz the frozen fruits until well blended and pulpy but not softened. Quickly stir in the toasted breadcrumbs and the allspice. Spoon into the cold ring mold. Smooth the top, cover, and freeze until firm or until ready to serve.
To serve, invert onto a serving plate, remove the plastic wrap, and top with berries and a few fresh mint leaves. Serve immediately with low-fat crème fraîche or fromage frais. This dessert can be kept in the freezer (in or out of the ring mold) for 3 or 4 months, covered with plastic wrap and foil. Remove from the freezer about 15 minutes before serving.
- Frosty red summer pudding
- Frosty currant summer pudding
- Frosty orchard fruit summer pudding
- Frosty blackberry & apple summer pudding
- Frosty apricot & peach summer pudding