- 2 cups pitted dates
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup rice, oat, or soy milk, chilled
- 2 cups unsweetened muesli or granola
- 4 tbsp. demerara sugar
- 4 tbsp. light corn syrup
- 4 tbsp. lightly crushed praline
Cook the dates with the orange juice, vanilla, and water to a soft puréed consistency. Set aside until just cooled. Blend in the milk, then put into a freezer container to freeze until firm but spreadable.
Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C). Mix the muesli with the sugar, spread out on a baking sheet, and bake for about 15 minutes until golden and crunchy. Put into a bowl and mix with the corn syrup. Spread into a 9-inch square or 9 × 12-inch oblong pan or container. Chill until the date mixture is ready.
Spread the date ice over the muesli base, then sprinkle with the crushed praline, and freeze for 1 hour. Cut into fingers or squares and return to the freezer until really firm. These can be frozen, well-wrapped, for up to 3 months.
- Frozen date & cornflake bars
- Frozen fig & oatmeal energy bars
- Frozen prune & oatmeal energy bars
- Frozen chestnut energy bars
- Frozen pumpkin & oatmeal energy bars