* Serves 4–6
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 to 6 tbsp. brandy or kirsch
- 4 cups mixed small berries
- 3 tbsp. toasted sliced almonds confectioners’ sugar
Whisk the egg yolks in a bowl with the vanilla and sugar until really thick and creamy. In a separate bowl, beat the cream until thick. Add the liqueur and beat until thick again.
Purée or blend 2 cups of the berries, and strain in a fine-mesh sieve, if you wish.
Fold together the beaten egg yolks, the whipped cream, and the puréed berries. Fold in most of the remaining berries (save a few for serving with). Spoon into molds or pans that have been lined with plastic wrap, and freeze for 3 to 4 hours.
To serve, turn out onto plates and top with a few of the reserved berries, sliced almonds, and a sprinkling of confectioners’ sugar.
- Strawberry semifreddo with fraise & wild berries
- Gooseberry & muscat semifreddo
- Black currant & cassis semifreddo
- Blueberry & chocolate liqueur semifreddo
- Currant semifreddo