- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
- 2 cups whole milk, chilled
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, broken up
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy cream, whipped and chilled
Warm the sugar in a pan with half the milk, the cocoa powder, and the dark chocolate, stirring occasionally. When the chocolate is completely dissolved and well blended, set aside to cool completely.
When cold, stir in the vanilla and the rest of the milk. Whisk this mixture gradually into the whipped cream. Pour into an ice cream maker and process according to the manufacturer’s directions. Churn for about 20 minutes or until almost firm, and then transfer to a freezer container. Freeze for 15 minutes before serving. If you do not have an ice cream maker, follow the hand-mixing method.
This ice cream can be stored in the freezer for up to 1 month. Take out 15 minutes before serving to soften.
Makes about 1 1/4 pints
- Double chocolate chip ice cream
- Chocolate chile ice cream
- White chocolate ice cream with dark chocolate chips
- Rich chocolate & cookie dough ice cream