- 1 8-oz package cream cheese
- finely grated zest and juice of 1 large unwaxed lemon
- 1/3 cup superfine sugar
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup heavy or whipping cream, whipped
- 4 tbsp. (1/2 stick) butter, melted
- 1/2 cup graham cracker crumbs
Beat together all the ingredients, except the butter and graham cracker crumbs, until smooth. Taste, and add more sugar if you prefer it sweeter.
Pour into an ice cream maker and follow the manufacturer’s freezing directions. Churn the ice cream for about 30 minutes or until nearly firm. If you do not have an ice cream maker, follow the hand-mixing method.
Meanwhile, mix the melted butter and crumbs together thoroughly. Cool.
When the ice cream is nearly firm, tip into a freezer container, add the crumbs, and stir just once or twice, to swirl or ripple rather than mix evenly. Freeze until firm or ready to serve.
Store in the freezer for up to 3 months; take out 15 minutes before serving to soften.
Makes about 1 1/4 pints
- strawberry cheesecake ice cream
- blueberry cheesecake ice cream
- fudge & almond swirl cheesecake ice cream
- coffee & ginger cheesecake ice cream