* Makes about 2 1/4 pints
- 3 cups chopped, trimmed rhubarb
- 1/2 cup superfine sugar
- 1 to 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 cup heavy cream, stiffly whipped
- 1 cup plain yogurt
Put the rhubarb, sugar, and vanilla into a small saucepan and simmer for about 8 minutes until very tender. Alternatively, cook in the microwave on medium for 3 or 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Purée the fruit, stir in the cinnamon, and set aside until cold.
Fold together the puréed rhubarb, the whipped cream, and the yogurt. Spoon into the bowl of an ice cream maker and process, following the manufacturer’s instructions, or pour into a freezer container and freeze as directed. When the ice cream is firm, freeze briefly before serving, or until required.
This ice cream can be frozen for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer 15 minutes before serving to soften slightly.
- Iced rhubarb & ginger classic
- Iced rhubarb & orange delight
- Iced rhubarb & raspberry delight
- Iced rhubarb & oat crumble